Wednesday, June 4, 2008

sports crazy

As anyone could tell from my first ever posts on this blog, I'm a bit of a sports nut. I grew up in Boston during the '80s and fell in love with the Red Sox (despite the heart break), the Patriots (despite their terribleness), and the Celtics.

The Celtics were the only truly great team of the three during my childhood years. They were the only team to actually win a championship (3 of them during the '80s). The started 4 future hall of famers including Larry Bird who is one of the greatest players of all time, and even had hall of famers coming off the bench during the magical '86 season.

Fast forward years and years to the '00's and I'm moved out of the Boston area, living in Grand Rapids and Pittsburgh and the Boston sports teams are starting to win a lot! Since 2001, the Patriots have won 3 Super Bowls, been in another, and the Red Sox have won 2 World Series. The Celtics on the other hand have been mostly terrible this decade, and it's been 22 years since the '86 team hoisted the Celts' 16th banner into the rafters of the old Boston Garden.

Well tomorrow, the Celtics begin another finals battle against their historical rivals, the Lakers and it also means that my three favorite teams have all appeared in their sports' finals this past year. Combine that with the fact that I live in Pittsburgh where the Penquins are trying for the Stanley Cup, and I think I'm going a bit sports crazy...and loving every minute of it!

Beat LA! Beat LA! Beat LA!

No comments: